Saturday, October 4, 2008

Halloween Learning Activities


Shh....don't tell anyone, because I would never want to sound like a party pooper, but I do have to quietly admit to you that holiday parties have never been a favorite time in the classroom for me. I don't know, 30 kids wired up on excitement, sugar, and costumes...what am I missing?

So, with that in mind, I've always tried to sneak in learning activities that have the disguise of holiday celebrations! When I was a classroom teacher my holiday parties strongly resembled "center activities" where students moved from one activity to the next. Kids know how to do this normal classroom routine and this kept craziness to a minimum.

Here it is Saturday night and I am at home working and I just finished a great activity pack for you for Halloween. Download the free packet at http://technologylessonsforteachers.com

On the pages you download you will find activities that were created to have learning purposes while also celebrating the holiday. Many of them have ties to the Multiple Intelligences. (Thanks for sharing to Celeste Chapman and Cheryl Hyslop who wrote these years ago and I reformatted them!) As a sixth grade teacher I would put one of these activities on each table and our “Holiday Party” included visiting all of the various center activities along with a treat table.

I have also done many of these activities in the computer lab; especially the history lesson, the map drawing (using KidPix), and the epitaph creation (using KidPix). I’ve used laptops with groups to do the interpersonal story writing.
Finally, at the end of the packet you have the pages for students to run a quick and easy fundraiser.

Hopefully some of these pages will help you continue to make kids think and expand their minds while also celebrating the holiday season.

So, sneak in learning when you can under whatever disguise is required!
Download the free packet at http://technologylessonsforteachers.com

And now, enough work for tonight......

No comments: