Monday, December 15, 2008

The Living Alphabet

All of our written word is based on the alphabet. How many ways can we teach the alphabet and still engage our children?
Last night I shared the time lapse movie and tonight I'm sharing with you the techniques for bringing the alphabet to life! What fun!
For many years I've made the Living Alphabet book with my Kindergarten through third grade students with varying levels of difficulty. Tonight I'm sharing a movie that shows clips of how I manage this project. You'll see that I have multiple groups making letters and I usually have to stand on a chair to capture the digital image! I also learned that I can work up quite a sweat going up and down off the chair....so dress lightly on the day you plan to do this activity as it is quite a workout!
In the past I've made the book and then printed it and bound it and gave it to the classroom teacher. This last year I added the dimension of self-publishing the book and it sells on Amazon. Not too long ago the author, my daughter Hannah, said: "Mom, I really thought I'd feel different as a published author, and I really don't." That may be the case, but she sure was excited to write for a real-world audience.

No comments: